Re: background-clip

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:26:15 -0400
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tuesday 2009-09-08 07:46 -0700, Brad Kemper wrote:
> In section 3.7 of the CSS3 backgrounds and borders module (Aug 27
> Editor's Draft)[1] It says this:
>
> See the section “Layering multiple background images” for how
> ‘background-clip’ interacts with other comma-separated background
> properties to form each background image layer.
>
> However, “Layering multiple background images” doesn't seem to mention
> 'background-clip'. I think it should say something like the following:
>
> 	Regardless of how many background images are used, the box has only one
> background painting area, as defined by the ''background-clip' property.
> The background color, if present, is painted in this area, below all of
> the other layers.

I'm not convinced that there's anything inconsistent about the
current spec; "sized, positioned, and tiled" could include the
effects of background-clip.  And the current spec is certainly clear
that background-clip takes multiple values, since it says:
  Value: [border-box | padding-box ] [ , [border-box | padding-box ] ]*
This is what Gecko has implemented.

If you want to change background-clip to have only a single value
rather than separate values for each layer, you also need to change:
 * the syntax of background-clip itself
 * the rules for the 'background' shorthand

-David