Re: Image sprites use cases

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:56:06 +0200, Alex Kaminski
<activewidgets@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Brad Kemper<brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 6, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's acceptable if gradients fall back to a solid color, if it affects
>>> a reasonably small percentage of users.  I don't think there's any
>>> acceptable general fallback for image sprites.  Showing the first
>>> image surely isn't very useful in general -- most sprites I've seen
>>> contain a number of unrelated images.
>>
>> Most I've used have been related images, such as the different states
>> of a
>> button, tab, icon, etc.
>
> +1. From my experience the majority of sprites contain different states
> of the same component.

The two examples mentioned in the first mail of this thread were <input
type="checkbox"> rewritten as a styled div and a toolbar of icons (I've
seen the latter on e.g. Yahoo). I don't see how any of those would be
useful with fallback to a single image.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA