RE: radial-gradient() proposal

From: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 20:32:24 -0700
To: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
| Ah, I think you're somewhat confused here then.  The -side values,
| when used with an ellipse, refer to *two* sides - the closest
| horizontal *and* the closest vertical.  After all, you can't specify
| an ellipse with only one axis - you need some way to determine the
| second axis.

I question who's confused. The ellipse parameters derive from a single -side value. The gradient-line can also be derived from that -side value.

| If you don't know the actual dimensions of the box, <length>s aren't
| very helpful anyway.  I recommend sticking with percentages in that
| case.

Not a bad recommendation. However, there are valid exceptions.

| It's not meant to be an analogy in those terms, though; it's meant to
| match with the definition of gradient-line that linear gradients use.
| When talking about gradient-lines, radial and linear gradients use
| them nearly identically; the only things different are the default
| values and how the ending-point is inferred.

Could you expound on this further? In what way is the effect of an angular gradient line identical for your linear and radial gradients? I can certainly see how linear gradients are altered by a change of angle. I fail to see how changing the angle affects radial gradients.

David Perrell