Re: Image sprites use cases

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> No more so than any "new" image format, such as gradients (not that layered
> image formats like Photoshop files, TIFF, etc., are particularly new).

It's acceptable if gradients fall back to a solid color, if it affects
a reasonably small percentage of users.  I don't think there's any
acceptable general fallback for image sprites.  Showing the first
image surely isn't very useful in general -- most sprites I've seen
contain a number of unrelated images.  The proposed archive-based
solution has excellent fallback: a slight performance hit, nothing
else.

There's no reason you couldn't write a Photoshop plugin that lets you
edit an archive file all at once, if you felt like it.  If you cared
about fallback, you'd then have to extract it in place when you upload
the new version.  Seems like no big deal.