Re: Image sprites use cases

Alex Kaminski wrote:
> Is it really so? I can imagine that using background-position for sprites
> does indeed have memory impact, but if the spite is specified with
> image-region then I guess the browser can easily optimize memory usage.

The whole point of using sprites is that the single image is decoded all
at once, no?  That's sort of how image formats work; they tend to not be
amenable to only decoding part of an image.

Sprite techniques make the total size of the image much bigger than the
sum of the sizes of the sprite images.  See
http://blog.vlad1.com/2009/06/22/to-sprite-or-not-to-sprite/ for some
discussion.

> Yes, we can. But for the person who is trying to customize/modify the
> components it is not very convenient and much harder to explain.

Is the solution more complexity in CSS or better authoring tools for
working with your components?

-Boris