Re: Image sprites use cases

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 11:00:21 -0500
To: Pascal Germroth <pascal@germroth.name>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>, www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Pascal Germroth<pascal@germroth.name> wrote:
> - - real attachments to websites, like emails. For example, the home page
> could attach the stylesheets and images, which speeds up loading even
> more since in one request you get everything without having to parse the
> page first. Other pages would refer to the files as usual, the browser
> would use the cached versions, or if you didn't visit the home page
> first, load them as needed. (Of couse, people would soon start attaching
> everything to every page...)

That's a showstopper.  We *cannot* rely on people visiting the
homepage first; search engines direct you straight to the page you
want which can be deeply internal.  I want *all* pages to benefit from
this, so I'd have to 'attach' the files to *every* page, which defeats
a lot of the purpose.  Making them still be a separate resource lets
the browser decide that it's already cached the thing and ignore it on
subsequent page loads.

> - - no more need for "meta refreshing" on nice download pages: have the
> "your download is starting now" message first, and the file to be
> downloaded second in the multipart message.

That's not really necessary anyway - loading up an <iframe> pointing
to the download accomplishes the same thing more easily.