Re: [CSS21] display:run-in clarifications

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:22:12 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>>> relative">
>>>     bbb
>
>> I dunno if it's covered, but since inlines can't be containers for
>> abspos elements
>
> Sure they can.  They just have to be rel pos.

::headdesk::  Duh.  Sorry, just now getting my morning caffeine.

> But that's not relevant here.
>  The question is whether the divs containing "aaa" and "ccc" in the testcase
> above have the div with black border as the containing block or the div with
> green border.  I'd personally prefer black border.

Presumably both.  They're still children of the green-border box, so
they'd be contained by that if it was relpos.  But it definitely makes
sense for them to treat the black-border box as their grandparent for
purposes of containment otherwise.  I think for CSS purposes it should
be indistinguishable from simply specifying the green-border box as an
inline child of the black-border box to begin with.