Re: Image sprites use cases

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Patrick Garies<pgaries@fastmail.us> wrote:
> * I'm also curious if a format like *.7z would also work since it compresses
> way better than ZIP does. Unfortunately, I don't know if you can read and
> extract individual files from that format.

Supporting ZIP would be great just because authors can so easily
create it, no special tools needed.  If an *additional* format like
7-Zip with better compression were supported, that would be nice too,
if the decompression time remains acceptable even on very low-end
hardware (e.g., cell phones).  .tar.bzip2 is the other obvious choice.

> * Of course, there's also the million dollar question: What is the
> likelihood that a browser vendor would implement such a thing?

That's what this list is meant to determine.  :)  This particular
scheme seems more suited to discussion by the HTML WG, though -- I
imagine it could still be added to HTML 5 at this point if there were
enough support by implementors.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Of course if there's a better compression format more amenable to
> use here, that would be nice too.  I'm not sure there's an obvious
> candidate.

I don't think Windows supports the creation of any compressed archive
format out of the box except ZIP.  At least not as of XP.  On the
other hand, it's not the *end* of the world if Windows authors have to
download a free third-party tool like 7-Zip to create the archive.
7-Zip can create things like .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 as well as .7z,
IIRC, and so can plenty of others.  Windows users are used to
downloading free third-party tools for everything anyway.  :)