Re: font features in CSS

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:46:08 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
fantasai wrote:

> Right. We don't have toggles. We do have presence=ON, absence=OFF for
> many things. However, it seems we're dealing with a tri-state here,
> not a boolean: ON, OFF, and DEFAULT.

OpenType Layout features can be categorised as:

On by default; cannot be turned off (e.g. <rlig> or the core Arabic and
Indic script shaping features).

On by default; can be turned off (e.g. <liga>)

Off by default; can be turned on (e.g. <dlig>

For those that can be turned on, most would be expected to be
user-triggered, but some could be heuristically invoked. For example,
the <case> feature might be triggered by all-caps setting.

JH