Re: [css3-background] last call for comments on "Backgrounds and borders"

From: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:46:29 -0700
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Cc: Www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> The CSS WG published a new working draft of the "Backgrounds and
> borders" module:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-background-20091015/
>
> This is intended to be the last draft before changing the status to
> Candidate Recommendation and thus this should also be the last call
> for comments.

It seems to me that the border-image shorthand would be more user
friendly if it allowed slashes between any two option groups.
Something like

    <‘border-image-source’> || /? <‘border-image-slice’>
        [ / <‘border-image-width’>? [ / <‘border-image-outset’>  ]? ]?
        || /? <‘border-image-repeat’>

I *think* this does not make the grammar ambiguous, and it means
authors don't have to remember which blocks take slashes and which
don't.

zw