[cssom] serializing Selectors

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:47:29 +0200
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Travis Leithead" <travil@microsoft.com>
Cc: "CSS WG" <www-style@w3.org>
For the CSSOM specification I want to define how you go from a group of
selectors to a string. This is straightforward for quite a few things, but
when it comes to type and attribute selectors it seems implementations do
wildly different things. E.g.

   [*|ATTR]

ends up as

   [attr] in Firefox and Opera and
   [*|attr] in WebKit

for a text/html resource. Neither seems ideal.

Some of this is probably the result of the underlying implementation
details of matching in text/html resources.

If you guys have any input as to what would be best here that'd be much
appreciated.

The work on this happens here at the moment:

   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom/#selectors

Specifically it is about what CSSStyleRule.selectorText has to return and
other theoretical APIs that return a group of selectors as string we may
introduce in the future.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/