Re: Styling HTML5 elements

On 10/16/09 12:34 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> Oh. I didn't realize that. Is that because "Only one pseudo-element may
> appear per selector"? [1] It kind of looks more like two instances of
> the same selector to me, but maybe I'm just splitting hairs.

You're just wrong. ;)  "selector" in this instance is in fact everything
between a pair of commas.  It's clearly defined in section 4 of the spec
you cite, paragraph 1.

> It seems like it would be a breeze to implement "::after::after", once you have
> implemented single "::outside" support. (Not that I can write the code
> myself or anything.)

::outside is not implemented in any UA to my knowledge.

And ::after::after is not implemented not just due to the selector
syntax restriction, but because the entire CSS3 generated content spec
is more or less wishful thinking at this point.

-Boris