[css3-background] possibly too late for last call, but: background-opacity?

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:57:55 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
First time dipping my toe in this list, and appreciate that it's
probably far too late for last call, but...

One feature I would have really loved to see is the ability to specify
opacity for background images. I know this is technically possible by
using formats such as PNG-24 with encoded alpha information, but I could
envisage an actual CSS property to allow for further flexibility
(particularly when layering multiple backgrounds, or when wanting to
change background opacity depending on user interaction or similar).

If it's already too late to suggest anything new like this, could this
be taken into consideration for a follow-up point release perhaps?

Many thanks,

Patrick
--
Patrick H. Lauke