Re: New values for Float property

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:58:16 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: news <news@terrainformatica.com>, Salar <salarsoftwares@gmail.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Monday 2009-11-30 12:23 -0600, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
> > This is not entirely correct. right-to-left layout with floats is currently
> > implemented correctly in the latest versions of Firefox and IE8 with rtl
> > bidirection (dir="rtl"). Fails in both Safari and Opera.
> Huh.  I don't see that interpretation supported in the specs, though.
> float:left says that it floats *to the left*, not to whichever side is
> the opposite of the text progression direction.  Perhaps this is a
> bug?

That testcase isn't about float:left and right swapping sides for
rtl.  It's about the overflow behavior when a float to the end-edge
(i.e., float:right in ltr, float:left in rtl) is wider than its
container.  You don't want a right float to stick out of the left
side of its container because then you can't scroll to the overflow,
since scrollbars only scroll in one direction from the default

I believe I  proposed a spec change for that, but I can't find the
proposal right now.