Re: New values for Float property

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:41:19 -0800
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Salar <salarsoftwares@gmail.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
To: news@terrainformatica.com
Using hacky layout methods are sometimes the best choice available to Web designers when trying to target the most widely used Web browsers, and also trying to achieve a particular layout. You may disagree with the subjective design choices, but Salar's e-mail was about proposed values, not about existing limitations in desktop software. As long as we are talking about proposals, I think it is clear that www-style list IS the place to talk about replacements for hacky layout tools. That is why we discuss template layout, grid positioning, flexible box layout, display:table-cell, etc., which COULD be alternatives to them (once they are widely implemented).