Re: Individual properties for text-shadow and box-shadow

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Dave Methvin <dave.methvin@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the purposes of animation and other programmatic use, it would be very
> helpful to treat text-shadow as a shorthand property, then define
> text-shadow-color, text-shadow-x, text-shadow-y, and text-shadow-radius as
> its subcomponents. That would be consistent with other CSS shorthand
> properties such as border-right or background, where the individual
> components are made available via separate CSS properties.

I am generally in favor of breaking down any complex property into
simple sub-properties.  I know, though, that implementors generally
want to limit the number of properties in existence, because each one
requires an entry on every element, increasing memory usage.

I'm not sure where the correct line to draw is.  Shadows can be rather
nice to animate, though - adjusting the depth of a shadow when you
hover over something to represent it 'moving up' toward your mouse,
for example.