Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:00:21 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Nov 19, 2009, at 12:13 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> I've added
>  # The area outside the curve of the border edge does not accept
>  # mouse events on behalf of the element.
> to the definition of 'border-radius' and
>  # [portions of the border-image outside the border box] are
>  # invisible to mouse events and do not capture such events on
>  # behalf of the element.
> to the definition of 'border-image-outset'. Please let me know if
> this is acceptable.

That's understandable, and worded in such a way that it covers the
combination of those two properties too.

One question: were we set on using "do not" instead of "may not"?
Could there, for instance, be a mobile device that is able to draw
curves, but only capture renctangular areas fir mouse events (or touch
events). Or would a UA be non-complient if it did register clicks on
border-image pixels outside the border-box, based on the alpha mask?