Re: [CSS21] should text-decoration propagate to table-cells from table or above?

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:04:42 +0100, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

> # This property describes decorations that are added to the text of
> # an element using the element's color.  These decorations must be
> # applied to all of the text in the element and its descendants
> # except not to text that is inside an inline-block, inline-table,
> # or out-of-flow (floating or absolutely positioned) descendant of
> # the element.

This looks much clearer. To nitpick, I guess the last bit is slightly
ambiguous since the 'display' values could be read as nouns rather than
adjectives. Maybe instead of

"an inline-block, inline-table, or out-of-flow (floating or absolutely
positioned) descendant of the element"

it could read

"a descendant (of the element) which is inline-block, inline-table or
out-of-flow (floating or absolutely positioned)".

Though that doesn't look quite right either... perhaps just

"an out-of-flow (floating or absolutely positioned), inline-block or
inline-table descendant of the element".

> Given that we've changed the spec to apply text-decorations only to
> the text, I actually think the anonymous inline box concept is no
> longer necessary here (though I think it would considerably simplify
> the sections on line height calculation).

The example at the end of 16.3.1 also needs to be revised/replaced/removed
then. (That part actually talks about an anonymous inline /element/, I
guess a box wouldn't actually help since it would get split up into two...)

(For instance, if the old case is kept without introducing a new and more
interesting example:

"...the blue underlining for the blockquote element applies to the text
"Help, help!" inside the span element. The text in the em block is also
underlined. The final line of text is fuchsia, but the underline
underneath it is still the blue underline from the blockquote element."

and probably just remove the image and subsequent paragraph.)

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA