Re: [CSS21] text-decoration/visibility

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:29:31 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Because the mental model at least some people seem to have of relative
> positioning is that it's a purely graphical effect: you paint the thing into
> its own surface, and then composite the surface with an offset.

In that case, why doesn't the parent's background get copied too?

> Note that neither Webkit nor Gecko actually implement this behavior at this
> time; Opera does; I don't have IE8 on hand right this second to check.  I
> can guarantee that for Gecko in standards mode the parent (the one the
> text-decoration is specified on) in fact paints the text decorations,
> period.

Test case:

data:text/html,<!doctype html><u>Foo <span
style=position:relative;bottom:-1em>bar</span> baz

It makes more sense to me not to move the underline.  "It works like
backgrounds" would be a great mental model if it were really true,
unless there's a real use-case for underline behaving differently with
relative positioning.