Re: [CSS21] margin computed value

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, L. David Baron wrote:

> On Monday 2009-11-09 21:14 +0300, Andrey Mikhalev wrote:

>>> I think this should say "the percentage or auto as specified, or the
>>> absolute length".
>>
>> mozilla POV :)
>
> Not really.  Mozilla used to inherit the old definition of computed
> value, but it was a lot of extra work, and getting rid of that extra
> work was the whole point of the change that introduced used values.
>
> The point of that change was that inheritance would never depend on
> layout-dependent computations, which it would if margin:auto has to
> be inherited as a number.  It would be extremely silly to remove
> that dependency for all cases but one.

well, "Computed values are processed as far as possible without formatting
the document".
resolving margin:auto needs layout-dependent computations only for
in-flow block-level and absolutely positioned elements
(10.3.3/4, 10.3.7/8)
there's no reason to defer resolving of 'auto' to 0 in all other cases.
hence keeping 'auto' _always_ 'as specified' is mozilla POV.

(not advocate it, just notice)