Re: [gradients] basics

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:45:56 -0600
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2009, at 7:13 pm, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> The gradients that you can produce right now will cover 80+% of
>> use-cases, so I'm happy.  Diamond and box gradients are definitely
>> planned for v2, though.  If implementor interest is high enough I can
>> throw them in the draft now - I'd want at least two yays for it,
>> though.
>
> Please leave them out for now; I'm not aware of a way to do these kinds of
> gradients
> efficiently in WebKit.
>
> If your thoughts are to use new functions for these, then there isn't a a
> conflict with the
> current proposal and we can leave them for v2.

Well, diamond and rectangular gradients are just radial gradient with
a different gradient-shape - that's how I implemented them in my own
gradient producer, and it worked very intuitively.  But that should
still work properly with fallback - radial-gradient(rectangle, white,
black) will be tossed out as an invalid value and invalidate the rule
as it should, allowing you to precede it with a plain ellipse gradient
for downlevel clients still.

So yeah, v2 feature.