Re: radial-gradient() proposal

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>  Wouldn't it make more sense for the default start point to be "top center"
>> so that the default is a vertical gradient, like with Tab's proposal? There
>> seem to be far more vertical gradients than diagonal gradients on the Web.
>>

> I was trying to avoid "magic" default values, so was defaulting to top
> left.

I don't see how "top left" is less magical that "top center". They're both
arbitrary, and one is more useful than the other.

Note that I was also trying to have the points follow the same shorthand
> rules as background-position, where an omitted value defaults to 'center'.
> So 'top' becomes 'center  top'.

Defaulting to "center" to be consistent with background-position would be
the right thing to do if "center" was at all useful for gradients, but
unfortunately it isn't.

Rob
53:5-6]