Re: radial-gradient() proposal

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 06:53:40 -0800
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
To: Brendan Kenny <bckenny@gmail.com>
On Nov 5, 2009, at 1:29 am, Brendan Kenny wrote:

> Transforms have it right, it can just seem wrong to some at first
> sight. Positive rotations go counterclockwise from "east," but when
> mirrored downward to screen coordinates that becomes a clockwise
> rotation.
>
> As for gradients, personally I think a given angle should produce a
> similar rotation in the gradient as in a transform.

I tried to think of a way of defining linear gradients such that the
angle was an
angular offset from the line specified by the two points, but that
defeats
the purpose of specifying the angle in the first place (the use case
being to
have a gradient at a fixed angle irrespective of box size).

I'd be OK dropping angles from linear gradients. You can always get a
fixed
angle by specifying two points in pixel coordinates; what you lose is
the ability
to have a fixed angle gradient that automatically fills the box. I'm
not sure if this
would be a common use case.

Simon