Re: [css3-ui] :text-input pseudoclass

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:28:11 -0800
To: Nikita Popov <privat@ni-po.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Nikita Popov <privat@ni-po.com> wrote:
> Why not to  use input:not([type]), input[type=text]?

Because it's more complex than that.  I also have to target the inputs
that use an unrecognized type, like type=date in most current
browsers.  I can't naively do input[type=date], because if the browser
*does* support type=date I very likely want to style it differently.
As well, if more new input types appear, I'll have to update the
styles anywhere I use it.  Finally, if I want to do anything more than
a simple input selector, it'll become massively complicated and
unwieldy and introduce the strong possibility of typo bugs.

So, yeah, it's a difficult issue.