Re: [CSS21] [css3-selectors] Default Attribute Values

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:37:49 +0100
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
2009/11/3 fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
> The specs currently say that the UA is "not required to" match against
> default attribute values. It's unclear whether the UA "may" match against
> them or is "required not to" match against them.

I'd like it to say that the UA is "required to match against the
current attribute value, which may include default attribute values if
the source document has been modified by other means (DTD, XMLSchema,
knowledge of the namespace)"
This is similar to *may*, but the dependence is not on the UA
implementing CSS differently, instead is on the choice between
non-validating and validating processing and infoset (DOM / ESIS)

>  http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#default-attrs
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#def-values
>
> ~fantasai

Giovanni