Ok, this is odd…  I knew I'd sent this, but I don't see it in my PF mail.

Do you need additional changes?

From: Cynthia Shelly
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:35 PM
To: Cynthia Shelly; Protocols and Formats Working Group WG
Subject: RE: CSS selectors review for PFWG

Pseudoclasses:

Ask that there be support for ARIA states and properties [1] as pseudoclasses.  Many of these are similar to things that are currently supported as pseudoclasses, in that they can be set in multiple ways.  For example, “checked” can be set from an HTML attribute, from aria-checked, or by user action.  It is useful for a CSS author to be able to style all checked things the same, regardless of how they came to be checked.   Ask whether the CSS WG thinks it’s better to make that part of the selectors spec, part of the ARIA spec, or something else.  Is there an extensibility mechanism for psudoclasses.

Hover, active, focus:  All elements should be able to take those states.  Any element that receives focus should be able to make use of those.  With ARIA and with HTML 5, any element can be focusable.  Before that, form elements and buttons are also focusable.

::before and ::after may offer a work-around to accessibility issues with generated content not being in the DOM.  PFWG thinks this is a useful feature and wants to see it supported.

What was the ::selection pseudo-element, and why was it removed?  From its name like it seems like it could be quite useful for ARIA-based applications, which manage their own selection.

Namespace:  don’t report this.

[1]ARIA States and Properties http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-wai-aria-20090224/#global_states