Re: bolder/lighter defintion

From: Ph. Wittenbergh <jk7r-obt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:30:30 +0900
To: www-style List <www-style@w3.org>

On May 19, 2009, at 1:33 PM, John Daggett wrote:

>> Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding on my part. Assuming
>> the used font has weights 100, 200, 300 and 400, and the parent
>> element is set to use font-weight 100, then 'bolder' for a descendent
>> element will still map to 200. Correct ? Or will it always go to
>> 400 ?
>
> No, the bolder/lighter calculation here is independent of the font
> family, it will always jump to 400 if the parent element has weight
> 100,
> irregardless of the set of weights available for any given family.
Hmm. Ok. This does mean that Gecko and WebKit will need to change
their implementation. At least on OS X 10.5, 'bolder' goes from 100 to
200 and so on. Which is quite intuitive.

But I can see the point of having the calculation independent from the
font-family.

>  Using specific weights will always offer a
> much finer degree of control.
Most certainly - and I rarely use those relative keywords in real
world stylesheets.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh