Re: [css3-transitions] Spec should mention mismatch in list lengths

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:43:31 -0700
To: Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Monday 2009-05-18 11:29 -0700, Chris Marrin wrote:
> We follow the CSS rules for the background property, described in CSS3:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#layering

Except the rules for 'background' layers have been changed so that
the number of layers is the number of values for 'background-image':

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#layering

> We follow this literally, so your last two examples would actually
> produce 4 transitions, with the 'color' property being duplicated. This
> would reduce back down to 3 transitions because the first 'color'
> property animation would be overridden by the second. So in your last
> example you'd end up with a color transition of 9738 seconds.
>
> I think this is the appropriate way to interpret this rule. Adding
> special cases (as in your rules 2 and 3) just gives authors more things
> to remember.

I don't think it's particularly hard to remember that the number of
transitions is the number of values of 'transition-property', which
is really all I was proposing.

-David