Re: Should implementors copy vendor prefixes from each other?

* L. David Baron wrote:
>When implementors are implementing experimental properties that have
>already been implemented by other vendors, should they copy vendor
>prefixes from each other, or not?

So far the Working Group has taken the position that identifiers with
vendor prefixes should not be used in the wild; that is why using them
is prohibited in valid style sheets and discouraged in general. Your
question assumes there is good cause for authors to ignore that, which
would really be a symptom of some other problem, which should be fixed
instead.

Usually the sharing of extension prefixes leads implementers to disre-
gard proper documentation and standardisation practises; I submit the
"x-dns-prefetch-control" header as recent evidence. Making proprietary
extensions barely tolerable seeks to avoid that, while still allowing
for the few positive effects they have.