Re: Should implementors copy vendor prefixes from each other?

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Daniel Glazman <
daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> But browser vendors also say they use prefixes to allow evolution
> of the prefixed property w/o long-term impact on the non-prefixed
> property. I have the gut feeling this is a bad excuse. If
> -webkit-transition-delay has to change a bit because of standardization,
> browsers implementing the new version will still choke on stylesheets
> conformant to the old one.

Not at all. Webkit can keep implementing the old behaviour of
-webkit-transition-delay and implement the standard behaviour for the
unprefixed property.

>From my personal point of view, I'm not far from considering prefixes
> as we use them today are in fact painful and harmful.  They should
> probably be reserved to strictly proprietary properties.

I don't agree. I think prefixes have been demonstrably useful to avoid
premature freezing of behaviours and pollution of the CSS property
namespace, for example border-radius.

Stylesheets that insist on catering to pre-standardization implementations
of new features, as well as the standard feature, have to use a plethora of
rules, but I think that's a small price to pay for the integrity of the
standards process. I think we should carry on with the prefix policies we've
been using.

I don't think it's a good idea for one engine to implement another engine's
prefixed properties. I think that also strikes against the integrity of the
standards process by enshrining one engine's implementation as the de facto
standard.

Rob
53:5-6]