Re: CSS3 Web Fonts issue with ‘block on download’

From: Oli <w3-style@boblet.net>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 14:31:16 +0900
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi All,

On May 8, 2009, at 3:59 AM, David Hyatt wrote:

> An even better solution is obviously "never look bad"

This sounds great to me :) As does the idea of using a local font for
rendering after a few seconds. That would resolve the ‘no
visible content for an undetermined time’ problem.

So I guess this is a case where the working draft is fine and the
implementation just needs a little improvement huh.

For content creators, it seems these things will help:
* compress fonts eg via mod_deflate
* subset fonts if possible (I’m guessing there’ll
eventually be usable tools to do this, including CMS plugins/server
side solutions―the current situation is pretty bleak though)
* use a font stack containing local fonts with similar metrics
* check if the layout differs greatly when using a web font vs the
first local font in the font stack

Is there anything else I can do to minimise this problem? If I include
other CSS3 Web Fonts properties (2.6 Descriptors for Matching, 2.7
Descriptors for Synthesis), are UAs planning to eventually use this
data to create on-the-fly substitute fonts, or will fouc issues mean
synthesised/matched fonts are only used as a last resort (rather than
as an intermediary stage)?

Thank you all for the education―I learned a lot.

peace - oli