Re: CSS3 Web Fonts issue with 'block on download'

Vladimir Levantovsky wrote:

>> Isn't the MTX compression format used in EOT patented, which might be
>> considered an obstacle to general adoption? Or has this already been
>> satisfactorily resolved through some kind of free and universal
>> license?
>
> If adopted, MTX compression will be made available under W3C
> Royalty-Free Patent licensing requirements
> (http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-Requirements)

The issue has to do with field-of-use restrictions.  W3C licensing
policy allows for this, GPL does not.  My understanding is that if
something like MTX is available only with a field-of-use restriction, it
cannot be used in implementations that ship with a GPL license.

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan