Re: CSS3 Web Fonts issue with ?block on downl oad?

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 23:14:10 +0100
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
CC: Adam Twardoch <list.adam@twardoch.com>, www-style@w3.org

David Hyatt wrote:

> At any rate the original question seemed to be more about whether you
> show the glyphs of the fallback font or not before you load the real
> font.  I still think it's better visually to not show the wrong glyphs.
> You're jumping visually in the exact same way in both cases, but in the
> case where you show the glyphs you also have to replace them with the
> right ones.  That is going to be a much more dramatic and ugly change,
> especially if a poor fallback font is chosen (or none is specified at all).

Well, I can cite neither browser nor environment to back
this up, but I have definitely seen (and I /think/ that
the browser was IE) a browser display a fallback font
(in the non-CSS sense) and later the "real" font, and
that the effect was not unpleasant.  Better (IMHO)
than substituting "Greek" text (or white space) and
then shewing the real glyphs, since one can start
reading before the final rendered version is ready ...

** Phil.