Re: CSS3 Web Fonts issue with ?block on downl oad?

On May 7, 2009, at 2:11 PM, Adam Twardoch wrote:

> David Hyatt wrote:
>> An even better solution is obviously "never look bad" and I didn't
>> oppose that with my message, so I have no idea why you're attacking
>> me.
>
> David,
>
> I had no intention of attacking you. But I believe that to believe
> that
> in situations, where remote fonts have been approximated by metrics
> from
> local fonts for the purpose of initial rendering (because that's how I
> understood your explanation) "you don't see any layout jumping, since
> the pages that use downloadable fonts have tended to be well designed"
> -- that this belief is somewhat naive.

I said that on the extremely small set of pages that use the feature
today, that those pages have essentially been designed such that
jumping does not occur.  I'm not trying to generalize that to the
whole Web.  I'm well aware that visual jumping could occur on poorly
designed Web sites if the feature were to become wildly popular.

However don't underestimate how constrained most Web page layouts
actually are.  When many items are placed in precise spots in a grid
layout, then even if the font metrics of items at those grid positions
are wildly different, there's not as much visual jumping as you might
think.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)