Re: CSS3 Web Fonts issue with ?block on downl oad?

On May 7, 2009, at 9:08 AM, David Hyatt wrote:

> You don't want to see an unsightly visual flicker every time you use
> an uncached downloadable font.  I think the behavior of just showing
> nothing until the font is loaded is much better.  WebKit should
> probably eventually display the wrong font after a certain timeout
> period, but displaying the wrong font immediately is as bad as FOUC.

I thought that Webkit's current behavior was to not paint the text but
to still
lay it out with some sort of default metrics while painting other
things on the
page...  If so, doesn't that still cause flicker when you switch to using the
right metrics, because non-text parts of the page, or text parts that are not
using the downloadable font, end up moving around when the font loads?

Or do you block all painting of the page while loading a downloadable font?

-Boris