Re: "Re: [CSS21] rules="all" attribute specification and border-collapse property"

Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>> As for expected results, I think the current state of affairs is to
>> look at
>> the relevant specs and apply some common sense to tie them together. In
>> this
>> case, my common sense says table { border-collapse: separate }
>> shouldn't cause
>> cell borders to disappear from a [rules=all] table.
> Yes, I got that. However, given that border-collapse's initial value *is*
> separate then setting rules="all" on a table with no other style rule
> should not cause any of these borders to vanish either; yet that is what
> we see in the simplest case across IE8, Firefox and Opera. So if Patrick
> is correct i.e. IE7 and WebKit do it right, then three browsers have a
> bug to fix in this case. At the very least, I'd like to understand how
> our collective common senses all failed in the same way in this simple
> cas; given what has been said here, I don't understand why *that* rendering
> is logical or desirable.

I don't really understand your point here. For [rules=all], Firefox does
render the borders properly, as demonstrated by GĂ©rard's testcase:
   http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/TableRulesAll-BCSeparate.html

It doesn't do so for [rules=rows] or other values of [rules] because the
separate borders model is not capable of rendering borders on rows or
columns... so those borders disappear when you trigger that model. It's
not ideal behavior, but there's no way to fix it in CSS. IE7 doesn't
have this problem because IE has extra capabilities beyond CSS that allow
it to render borders on rows and columns in a table model that is very
similar to the separate borders model. (IIRC, this caused the rules
attribute to interfere with CSS rules that set borders on the table.)

> But all this really makes me want to go through all the border-collapse/rules
> cases, not just this one, so the story is complete. I can't yet offer an
> ETA though.

A suggestion: put table[rules] { border-collapse: separate; } in your user
stylesheet and browse http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/markup/tests/table-frame-rules/ :)

~fantasai