Re: "Re: [CSS21] rules="all" attribute specification and border-collapse property"

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 13:57:26 -0700
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
CC: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>> Sylvain,
>> I agree with Patrick Garies that this is wrong....
> In simpler cases, the result is interoperable. In others, it's not. A complete
> set of testcases and agreement on what they should look like would definitely
> help. Then we'd be able to consider what we can do in CSS3 to clarify this
> (i.e. I agree this is out of scope for 2.1)

I don't think this is a CSS3 issue. It's a CSS-vs-HTML-presentational-attrs
issue, and there's no spec for that. Several members of the HTMLWG have
expressed interest in such a spec, but it's not /really/ in scope for CSSWG.

As for expected results, I think the current state of affairs is to look at
the relevant specs and apply some common sense to tie them together. In this
case, my common sense says table { border-collapse: separate } shouldn't cause
cell borders to disappear from a [rules=all] table.

~fantasai