RE: [css-gcpm] order of text replace vs. whitespace processing

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:17:35 +0200
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: Ludger Buenger <ludger.buenger@realobjects.com>, www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:

 > In my opinion it should never apply. Text replace is certainly a
 > useful and powerful tool, but I don't think it belongs to a styling
 > system, not where it deals with plain text content. Whitespace is
 > just one thing that makes it more complicated. Next, we'll want to
 > make sure it works over element boundaries... And writing an editor
 > over it is something I don't look forward to.

I think these are valid concerns, and I believe all browsers would
agree with you. For batch processors doing printed publications, it's
different -- they have a requirement to make these kinds of fixes at
the end of the production line.

I suggest we add text to this effect into the draft so that

 - browsers/editors don't have to deal with it
 - batch processors may deal with it

After all, we do want CSS to work in all places. Even in Russia :-)

-h&kon