Re: [css-gcpm] order of text replace vs. whitespace processing

From: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 01:26:34 +0900
To: Hakon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote on 2009/03/31 23:42:46
> I believe implementation keep the white-space around until just before
> the presentation -- if they threw it out at parse time they wouldn't
> be able to support the 'white-space' property.
>
> As such, I would suggest specifying that 'text-replace' is evaluated
> before 'white-space'.
>
> What do implementors think?

I think that the text-replace should be applied to the result of the
white-space processing. Consider the following example:

    p { text-replace: "Soviet Union" "Russia"; }

   The following two paragraphs should be same (Hello Russia):
     Union!</p>

Our implementation (AH Formatter) does this.

Regards,

--
Shinyu Murakami
http://www.antennahouse.com