Re: Border and padding in paged media

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:55:42 +0200
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
2009/3/30 Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Giuseppe Bilotta
> <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I read in the paged media description
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/page.html#page-box that border and padding
>> properties do not apply to pages, and I was wondering what would be
>> the reason for it. I can find a number of possible applications;
>> indeed, I came across this limitation because I was looking for a way
>> to draw a rather thickish border on the left and bottom margins of the
>> page in projection mode (I'm using Opera). So the first question is:
>> why?
>
> CSS 2.1 does not have that restriction:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/page.html#page-box

It has, in section 13.2.1: "In CSS 2.1, only the margin properties
('margin-top', 'margin-right', 'margin-bottom', 'margin-left', and
'margin') apply within the page context" and "The declarations in an
@page rule are said to be in the page context", from which I infer:
only the margin properties are allowed in @page

On the other side, CSS3 allows both border and padding:
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/#page-properties

Giovanni