Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

On Mar 30, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Brad Kemper
> <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 30, 2009, at 5:01 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> This would also be a very good argument for still combining
>>> border-radius with border-image; border-radius will clip the hit
>>> box,
>>> which can be useful to match up with some border-image shapes.
>>
>> For hit-testing, yes. For clipping, no. If I have to chose between
>>  hit-testing and not having my image clipped by the radius, then I
>> prefer
>> the latter. Consider an images like these:
>>
>> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/borders.png
>>
>> In each case, it would be useful to have border-radius for
>> fallback, for
>> background-clipping, and for hit/hover-testing, but not for
>> clipping the
>> border-image.
>
> Certainly; I did not mean to imply otherwise.

Actually, David Hyatt implied in a different thread a few days ago
that hit-testing was based fairly strictly on clipping, so I was also
incorporating that info into my reply to you, above. Maybe he could
find a way to clip the hit/hover-testing without clipping the border
though, as you and I would prefer.

> It should have a layout
> effect, as it does now,

Does it? I didn't think border-radius changed where anything is placed
or how much room it takes up. Maybe that's not what you meant?

> but in and of itself be invisible, and have no
> effect on border-image (which already ignores all other layout
> concerns in your proposal).

Right. It would still clip the content (non-positioned descendants),
for much the same reason it clips the background (because it is part
of the border-box shape that contains the background and contents,
while border-images create their own shapes).