Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

On Mar 30, 2009, at 5:01 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:08 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mar 29, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>> Sorry but border is not an outline either. E.g. outline does not
>>> participate in hits testing. But border does. How you border image
>>> solution will handle :hover state?
>>
>> Those are good questions. I suppose for simplicity anything outside
>> the
>> border-box would not participate in hit testing or hover testing.
>
> This would also be a very good argument for still combining
> border-radius with border-image; border-radius will clip the hit box,
> which can be useful to match up with some border-image shapes.

For hit-testing, yes. For clipping, no. If I have to chose between
hit-testing and not having my image clipped by the radius, then I
prefer the latter. Consider an images like these:

http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/borders.png

In each case, it would be useful to have border-radius for fallback,
for background-clipping, and for hit/hover-testing, but not for
clipping the border-image.