The flow demo, Was: Re: Template Layout, implementation, some comments.

Bert,

I've assembled small sample that demonstrates various
layout managers that 'flow' supports now. Namely:

flow: horizontal
       | vertical
       | horizontal-flow
       | vertical-flow
       | grid
       | "template";

Sample is located here:

http://terrainformatica.com/w3/demo-w3c.zip

File is of 787 kb in size (787,389 bytes on disk).

It has Windows executable, htmlayout.dll (the rendering engine)
and html sample files.

Unzip and run .exe from there. Button in the middle will load
demo suite that located in /content/ subfolder.

This demonstrates the flow including your "template" and flexes.
Nothing fancy but pretty cool, if you would ask me.

Bert Bos wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2009, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> Here is a screenshot of the Template Layout in action:
>>
>> http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/template-layout.png
>
> That's quick!

I already had flow:grid in place. That is the same layout but with
different way of defining it.  So it was a matter to write parser for
your template "expression".

Please pay attention that template strings in my implementation
require white-spaces to separate placeholders.
This is made for cases when 26 lowercase and 26 uppercase letters is not
enough. So it is possible to use placeholders of two and more letters:

flow: "he he he"
       "lb ct rb"
       "lb ct rb";

> The 'border-spacing' of -1px seems a bit of a hack... :-)

:) If it is a hack then what are these negative margins then?

In principle border-spacing can be generalized for use in any container.
It establishes minimum value of margin between its children. Pretty
convenient.

> Normally, 'position' overrides 'float'. Is that still the case in your
> implementation? Or would 'position: absolute; float: a' cause
> the 'position' to be ignored?

float: "a"; and
position: relative | absolute;
can coexist peacefully.

Technically even float:right; and say position:relative; should work.
Why not?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com