Re: Template Layout, implementation, some comments. Was: Re: layout idea

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 07:36:50 -0500
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> The most non-trivial part was implementation of parsing of the template.
> Not parsing per se but handling of border cases. Say, it is not clear what
> this means:
>   flow: "a a"
>         "b c"
>         "d a";  ?
> "a" area is not continuous here. Error handling should be clearly defined by
> the specification.
> I propose for now to declare that each named area shall be a)
> of rectangular shape and b) unique and so continuous.

The spec already says that areas must be rectangular.  Two separated
regions do not make a rectangular shape.  Thus the rule is invalid.

> I propose to drop '@' feature completely, instead to declare following:
> All immediate children of the container-template that have no float:"XX"
> defined are replaced as they occupy single row that is appended to the main
> grid. Easy to implement and quite predictable.

That sounds like an excellent rule for what to do when there *isn't*
an @ in the template, but that's no reason to drop @ entirely.  The @
made pushing "everything else" into a slot very easy.  Without it you
have to use a properly scoped * selector, and make sure that all your
other positioning rules have selectors with enough specificity to
override it.

> And I'd like to note again that flex units are highly desirable in such
> cases.

Flex units are already in the template spec.  They use * as the unit.
(They are also in the Grid Positioning spec.)

~TJ