Re: layout idea

From: Jonathan Snook <jonathan.snook@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:47:23 -0400
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
> If #a and #b are both 'display:table-cell'

I think we'd be limiting ourselves by just adding col/row-span and
table-position to display:table-cell. Having position: absolute with
the ability to position against the grid isn't bad but because it's
out of flow, it doesn't provide much flexibility (i'd say little
advantage over what we have now). Having items positioned against the
grid, able to overlap within the grid, allowing for overflow, while
still affecting the flow of the grid, seems like a more powerful system.

-js