Re: [css3-selectors] minor question about :not()

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:53:08 -0500
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tuesday 2009-03-17 16:48 -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> There IS a conflict with implementations.  Both Gecko and Opera accept
> "::first-letter" by itself as a valid selector.

I think this conflict (which is a bug in the spec in both selectors
level 3 and in CSS 2.1, since it is an unintentional break in
compatibility with CSS level 1) could be fixed without changing any
terminology by changing:
  # If the universal selector is not the only component of a
  # sequence of simple selectors, the * may be omitted.
in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors3/#universal-selector to
something like:
  # If the universal selector is not the only component of a
  # sequence of simple selectors or is followed by a pseudo-element,
  # the * may be omitted.
although I don't think that wording "followed by a pseudo-element"
is quite precise enough.  We'd need an analogous change to
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#universal-selector to fix
CSS 2.1.

-David