Re: Counter-increment is not clear in CSS21 and CSS3 (was: Re: Bug in IE8?)

On Thursday 2009-03-12 22:21 +0100, François REMY wrote:
> But, I just found another problem : The spec isn't clear about how the UA must
> treat 'none' as value for counter-increment. In fact, the prose NEVER talk about
> the effect of 'none'. So, the browser should treat none as a non-effect value, if it
> can't understand it otherly.

I agree that the spec should be clarified here.

I think IE8's behavior (not accepting 'none') is incorrect.  But I
also think Gecko's behavior (it rejects 'none 1' but accepts 'foo 1
none 1') is incorrect.

I think we probably want to say that either:

 (1) 'none' is a valid value on its own, but any value containing
 'none' as a counter name is invalid, or

 (2) 'none' as a value on its own means that no counters are
 incremented/reset, but use of 'none' in any other values implies
 that there is a valid counter named 'none'.

Note that the same issue is present with 'inherit' and (in css3)
'initial'.

-David