Re: Request to make http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/documents.html Public

Richard Ishida wrote:
> Hmm. That depends.  Maybe, for example, Art is looking for the latest
> editor's draft of the Fonts module. That is linked from
> http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/documents.html (and with out of date
> information btw).

There was an effort some years ago to provide a list of all editors'
drafts of all WGs. The list actually still exists and is still
automatically updated. At the height of its popularity it maybe included
half the WGs, but by now there are many more WGs and most probably don't
use the proper mark-up on their pages. (I won't give the URL, because it
is a member-confidential resource, as are many of the editors' drafts
listed on it.)

If Art is interested in reviving that list, he should start a discussion
on the AC-forum or the chairs lists. If he convinces enough WGs to add
the proper class names to their pages, I'm happy to maintain the program
that generates the list. (Of course, the reason the list has fallen into
disuse is that editor's drafts aren't very useful to anybody outside the
WG that produces them.)

The internal "documents" page of the CSS WG isn't that out of date,
actually. The links are correct (and if you find one that's not, let me
know, because they are essential for the WG). What may not be correct is
the redundant information that is copied from the drafts, viz., the date
of the last edit and the names of the editors. (Maybe I should either
automate them or remove them...)

> I must say that I always have trouble finding these pages and then
> remembering which of them is which.  For example, if you go from the w3c
> home page to http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/, thinking you can find the latest
> CSS3 modules, you won't find any link to either afaict. Only if you follow
> the link to 'working group' can you find a link to
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work.html and that's buried in the text.
> If you have access to member documents and actually want to read the latest
> editor's draft of the fonts module, you're still no clearer at this point
> about how to find it.

The link to the current work page *is* on the CSS overview page, but I
agree it is not obvious.

That is being worked on, though: I'm moving closer and closer to a
redesigned (restyled and re-structured) set of CSS pages with a summary
of the list of modules right on the first page and a very prominent link
to the full page. I need to do some testing still, such as how well the
new pages translate. My time is scarce, but I'm sure it will happen one
of these days...

> Why not have a link to http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work.html
> prominantly displayed (ie. near the top of the 'local links' top right) on
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/ (perhaps called 'Specifications in
> development') and add a column (labelled member-only if that's the
> preference) to that page linking to the latest editor's drafts.  That would
> make for a quick intuitive way to get to any document.

Bert