Re: Why no compositional positioning?

From: Thomas Davie <tom.davie@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:48:22 +0100
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On 16 Mar 2009, at 15:40, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Thomas Davie <tom.davie@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Thanks, okay, I don't yet fully understand what's going on here
>> then.  I
>> have an example which I expect to produce a table using divs (yes,
>> I know,
>> this is as bad as producing divs using tables, but it's a good
>> example of
>> trying to achieve a certain layout and apparently being stymied by
>> css:
>>
>> http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/rpg/tatd2/test.html
>>
>> I had assumed previously that absolute positioning was positioning
>> elements
>> relative to the top-left of the document window, causing the
>> absolutely
>> positioned elements to not be part of their parent div, and hence the
>> relatively positioned ones to have a height of 0.  Apparently
>> though this is
>> not what's happening.
>
> Absolute positioning removes an element from the document flow.  This
> means, among other things, that parent elements no longer use it to
> determine their height; they no longer 'contain' the abspos element.
> Thus, if you abspos all the children of an element, that element no
> longer has *any* in-flow content, and collapses to 0 height.
>
> You're not seeing a contradiction, you're just seeing multiple effects
> in play.  Note that even in your example it's clear that the abspos
> elements are positioning themselves based on their parent, as the
> elements are offset from each other by several pixels, due to the
> borders on the collapsed parents making their height non-zero.

That sounds like a very strange contradiction indeed actually.  The
elements are positioned within their parent but are not in their
parent.  Is there a reason for this strange behavior?

Incidentally, this returns me to my original question  there is no
positioning mode which simply lays the elements out within their
parent.  Why not?

Thanks

Bob