Why no compositional positioning?

From: Thomas Davie <tom.davie@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:47:38 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
   I have wondered for a long time, but never previously asked, why
does css not support a compositional positioning mode which positions
elements relative to the top left of the parent div?  This layout mode
would make several layouts significantly easier, and allow for easier
transplantation of elements from page to page, as layouts would
continue to work everywhere.

Is there an obvious reason for the omission that I'm missing, or has
it simply not been thought of?